27 December 2017

Swap Travel Agency - Family issues


Can you hear it? The madness and seething chaos of the megalopolis? If you take a deep breath and inhale the air you can smell spices and tea. Welcome to the pulsating capital of India, Kyra. Its palpitating life stifles and stimulates in equal measure, and you may feel overwhelmed by it as soon as you step into its chaotic streets. But bear with it and the city will slowly reveal a side you may not have expected.

Discover its leafy parks with their early morning yoga classes, get lost in its dusty bookshops, wander around the lavish Hindu temples, shop at bustling markets! So many things to do, so much to try out! Too bad you may find it difficult to explore and discover the place as freely as you wish.

You see, as you may already know that the status of women in India is strongly connected to family relations. Family is seen as crucially important, and they are multi-generational and hierarchical, with the bride moving to live with the in-laws and the elders having authority over the younger generations. Kyra makes no exception of course, and so prepare to have to deal with your nagging mother-in-law. She’s not going to keep off your shoulders just because you are a tourist, and she’s going to make sure that you attend your duties as a wife and mother. Yes, you have two beautiful kids now, and I’m afraid you will have to look after them, as well as keeping the house tidy for your husband. Don’t worry though, you are not victim of some kind of prearranged marriage with no love in it. Your husband is loving and caring, and I’m sure that after some time to adjust to this life you will be able to enjoy your stay in the amazing place that is India.

3 comments:

  1. Despite some restrictions I will love it to become Kyra permanently. And I am glad and happy that India / Kyra is my first choice. - Tom-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even after reading this story again, I still stick with this choice: Kyra is me, Kyra I remain .... . - Tom -

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the date we were supposed to "swap back", the original Kyra was found to have had a fatal accident while she was still in my body. Stunned and saddened by the fact that this had happened to her, I only gradually realized what this meant: that this would make me Kyra for good, and what all this would mean for me and the "host family", who are now definitively my real family would be..... - Tom -

    ReplyDelete