07 February 2018

Gratitude

One year has already passed. I can’t believe how fast time goes by. I haven’t been to this beach since that fateful day despite how much I used to love this place. Everything is like I remember it. The sand, the smell of the ocean. I’ve kept myself far from the sea for so long that I didn’t even realized how much I missed it.

But just the thought of ever swimming in the ocean again terrified me. My husband has been really concerned for me because of it, and my therapist as well suggested that I should go back to do what I used to love if I want to move past the trauma. But they can’t understand. They have no idea how traumatic it has actually been for me. But I figured out that since today is the anniversary of that day the least I could do was to come back here and mourn that poor girl.

I feel so guilty for having survived. It was I who should have died, and not that girl whose body I have now been inhabiting for a year. I was a foul. The ocean shouldn’t be taken lightly, but I knew this shore so well that I was too confident, and those waves were too big of a temptation to resist. I remember how scared I was when I got caught in the undertow. I swam with all my strength but it was now use, the current was dragging me away from the shore towards the open ocean. I felt my energies leave me gradually as the waves were tossing me around. I was powerless, and I soon realized I was going to die that day. As I felt myself losing my senses I remember that I wished with all my heart to survive. Then I passed out and let the backwash drag me down.

I remember feeling myself being carried out of the water, the muffled and confused sound of frantic voices, the feeling of the hot sand on my back. I felt a pressure on my chest and lips blowing air in my lungs. I coughed, spitting the sea water out of my lungs and I opened my eyes to see the bright sun blinding me. The people around me were agitated and concerned. I heard them talking to me. <<Are you ok miss?>> <<Charlotte! Charlotte! Oh thank God you’re safe!>>. Those words would have confused me normally, but in that moment I was just so glad that I was alive that nothing else mattered. So much so that I started to realize that my body was different only during the ride on the ambulance to the hospital. They were asking for my name to which I was responding with my old name Kevin, but of course they figured out I was just confused. While I was laying in the hospital bed waiting for the results of the medical check-up I noticed how different my body was. The long blonde hair cascading down my shoulders, the breasts on my chest protruding from below the hospital gown, the emptiness in my crotch. I couldn’t even master the energy to scream in terror when I grabbed a mirror and saw my new reflection.

Later on I discovered who I was now. Somehow I had become a woman named Charlotte who was on vacation with her fresh husband and got caught in the undertow as well. Only she was lucky enough so that the backwash threw her closer to the shore were people were able to save her. Or rather it was I who got lucky? The next day I read on the newspaper that a guy had drowned in those water. The body had been identified as Kevin Marshall, the guy who I used to be.

What had happened? Did my wish to survive made us two swap bodies just before I drowned? If that was the case, did it mean that that poor girl had drowned while in my body? The shock of being now trapped in a woman’s body was nothing compared to the remorse of having caused the death of a young woman. I stole her body. I stole her life. I should have been dead but I was now living a life that didn’t belong to me.

My husband was so glad that I survived. I was tempted more than once to leave him and start my life anew. But I couldn’t do it. Since I was most likely responsible for Charlotte’s death the least I could do was to carry on her life. And so I did. It took me a while to get used to my new body, and my husband had to teach me everything about my identity. The medics said it was an amnesia due to the trauma, but they couldn’t possibly imagine that it was actually a different soul inhabiting Charlotte’s body who now had to learn everything about her new life.

And now here I am one year later. I and my husband have moved past that terrible day long ago, and we are now thinking of having a baby and starting a family. It still feels quite incredible to be a woman, but I got used to it. I’m just glad that I’m alive, and I know I will be happy eventually with the life that has been gifted to me. But I can’t help to feel constantly guilty about it. I’m painfully aware that I’m stealing every happy moment from the real Charlotte. Will I be able to keep on living like this? Nonetheless I have a moral obligation to do so. I have been granted the gift of life, and I’m going to live it to the fullest. I’ll do that both for me and for Charlotte. I owe it to her. I’ll be happy for the both of us. Thank you Charlotte. Thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment